Dry statistics say that half the world's population has parasitic worms. Currently, scientists have more than 200 species of them. A person lives for many years, paying no attention to symptoms and unaware of the presence of unwanted "guests". But, in most cases, the opposite happens: an organism, weakened by the presence of parasites, becomes an easy "catcher" for various types of diseases, even oncology. Some worms are removed with medication, but there are also those that are eliminated only by surgery.
Varieties of parasites and methods of infection
For a successful fight, you need to know the enemy by sight. What are the parasites in the human body and where exactly should you look for them?
- Roundwormsare the most common group. These include pinworms, roundworms, toxocara, tricurids, scratches. They live in the digestive system of humans. Infection occurs when eating unwashed vegetables, fruits and vegetables. At the same time, you need to wash all products, even from your own garden. There is also a danger of contracting helminths when eating salted fish, bacon and barely fried meat. At risk are those who have pets - dogs and cats. Some parasites do not multiply in animals, but these are their active carriers.
- Ribbon- pork and beef tapeworms, echinococcus, broad tapeworm. These are the greatest representatives of worms - the tapeworm, for example, reaches 25 m in length. They have the unique ability to nourish the entire body. In addition, they can move throughout the human body, including the brain and spinal cord. Worms in this class are infected by eating undercooked meat and fish - a sick individual can be the source of a tasty dish. Products that have undergone strict veterinary control must be purchased.
- Subcutaneous- heartworm, filamentous nematode, rishta. They multiply in the host's subcutaneous tissue. The most common parasites of this type are found in tropical countries - India, Iraq, Africa. The infection is transmitted by blood-sucking insects - mosquitoes, flies, bedbugs. Its main symptom is a small formation that, when pressed, moves.
- Trematodes (worms)- fasciola (liver worms), schistosome, fascilopsisThey live in the liver, bile ducts, pancreas, intestines. The infection is caused by undercooked, under salted or undercooked fish. Drinking unboiled water also contributes to the acquisition of parasites.
- Tissue- trypanosomes, Finns live in the brain and spinal cord, sarcosporidia - in striated muscles and microsporidia - in connective tissues. This class lives in various tissues in the body. Basically, the carriers are wild and domestic animals and birds - horses, sheep, pigs, chickens, ducks, dogs, cats. Through undercooked meat, parasites invade the human body.
Symptoms of infection
It is not always realistic to easily determine which "guests" have settled in the body. An infected person is able to not notice its presence for several years. Often, the signs of the presence of parasites are very similar to the symptoms of certain diseases. There is a complete list of signs that the body gives in case of danger:
- anemia - an excessive amount of protozoa causes great blood loss, which is the cause of iron deficiency;
- nausea, abdominal pain - worms irritate and damage the walls of internal organs, resulting in the formation of wounds, micro-cracks and inflammation;
- alternation of constipation and diarrhea - the first symptom occurs due to the large number or excessive size of parasites in the body, which contributes to the blockage of the intestinal lumen. The appearance of diarrhea is caused by special substances secreted by protozoa that can destroy chlorides and sodium;
- flatulence (increased gas production) and bloating are the result of inflammation in the digestive tract damaged by worms. Because of this, there is no absorption of fats in the small intestine, which immediately enter the large intestine;
- Bruxism (gnashing of teeth) is a clear sign of infection. This is how the nervous system reacts to a given stimulus;
- skin problems - flaking, acne, boils, eczema, papillomas, warts, changes in the structure of hair and nails, allergic manifestations. These symptoms occur due to the fact that protozoa secrete many toxins that the liver cannot handle eliminating. Consequently, they all accumulate within one person. The body tries to get rid of this dirt in any way, including removing it through the skin;
- a marked decrease or increase in weight - "thanks to" the absorption of nutrients by worms, the human body misses them, which leads to a decrease in weight; weight gain occurs due to the drop in blood sugar, which increases the feeling of hunger, which the patient has to satiate constantly;
- Pain in the joints and muscles is due to the movement of parasites throughout the body and their establishment in the muscles and joint fluid. This symptom speaks of tissue inflammation;
- deterioration of immunity, which causes permanent diseases that are difficult to diagnose. The reason for this is the fight of the human immune system with the worms. With this symptom, the amount of immunoglobulin decreases and the body is defenseless against virus attacks and infections;
- frequent coughing, abundant sputum production, runny nose, fever occur due to the fact that during the migration process the worms enter the respiratory tract. Parasites in the body can cause the development of asthma and pneumonia;
- increased fatigue, nervousness, irritability are caused by the fact that worms consume nutrients needed by a person, which the body does not receive - magnesium, potassium, calcium, iron;
- when infected with moths, severe itching in the anus is added to the listed symptoms of parasites. This is due to the fact that the female moths crawl to lay their eggs at night, which sometimes causes an intolerable burning sensation.
Consulting a doctor
If at least 3-4 of the above symptoms are found in a person, then, as soon as possible, you need to see a doctor and get treatment.
In such cases, contact the following specialists:
- parasitologist; helminthologist;
- infectious disease specialist;
The specialist is sure to indicate the exams and, based on the results, select the ideal therapy. Depending on the symptoms and treatment should be appropriate. Isolated research is unlikely to provide a definitive answer about the presence or absence of parasites. Tests for some types of worms are done 7 to 8 times.
Another important nuance:if the infection is confirmed, all family members will be treated and prevented from parasites. Most protozoa spread quickly through everyday life: through dishes, household items.
The reason for going to the doctor is as follows:
- recent return from a trip abroad, especially from African or Asian countries;
- the presence of various impurities in the stool - mucus, blood;
- sudden weight loss;
- itching in the anus;
- prolonged diarrhea or constipation alternating with diarrhea;
- frequent colds or other illnesses.
There are several symptoms that accompany helminthiasis. Few people realize that banal fatigue can be a consequence of helminth invasions. A baby infected with parasites immediately starts to lose his appetite, and he doesn't even want to eat his favorite dishes, he wants to eat sweets. There are pains and cramps in the abdomen, nausea (especially in the morning), diarrhea. Often, the child is in a bad mood, irritated, his sleep is disturbed, teeth grinding can be observed in a dream (although today scientists discuss whether grinding is a sign of helminthiasis), emptying of the bladder, cough (no signs of a cold)). Worms cause a delay in physical and mental development in children, with helminthiasis, puberty occurs later, disturbances in memory and thinking are observed.
At risk are lovers of dry and semi-raw meat, minced meat not thermally processed, fresh fish. This also includes children of preschool and primary age, pet owners, veterinary clinic employees and those who, in professional or other activities, usually work with the land. For example, summer residents.
To prevent parasitic worms infection, you must follow some rules:
- wash your hands more often, especially in children and adults, after contact with animals;
- kills domestic insects - flies, mosquitoes, cockroaches;
- wash vegetables and fruits thoroughly, preferably with hot boiled water.
Treatment with medication
A wide variety of pharmaceutical products are available to fight parasites. Those who want to get a good result in fighting an internal enemy need to know who the war is going against. This is only discovered after visiting a doctor and passing the tests.
Of course, there are drugs that can cure several types of worms at once. However, they kill not only parasites, but also useful microflora from people. After taking them, a course of restorative therapy is carried out.
Under no circumstances should you be cured. All antiglustants are synthetic drugs that can have toxic effects on the liver, blood cells and the immune system. For this reason, do not use them without the need and guidance of a doctor. For prevention, it is better to use popular recipes for the treatment of worms in humans.
Even if there are no symptoms of parasites, prophylaxis is performed every six months or a year. It has long been known that worms do not tolerate odorous herbs and plants: onion, garlic, tansy, absinthe. The oldest known remedy for helminths is pumpkin seeds. Just buy a package of this product in any pharmacy or store, peel carefully (but not to remove the green peel) and eat.
There are many popular ways to get rid of helminths. Here are the simplest ones:
- in spring and summer they eat several leaves of sorrel on an empty stomach;
- in winter it is very good to bathe with the addition of fennel infusion. This substance easily enters the body through the pores of the skin. And because it has a pungent odor, parasites cannot tolerate it;
- a medicine that absolutely everyone can afford, even pregnant and lactating women - pumpkin seeds;
- two hundred ml for 2 tablespoons. me. oak bark. Insist on a closed thermos - so that the water is better saturated with phytonides;
- an art. me. tansy flowers are poured with a glass of boiling water and then placed under the lid for 4 hours. After that, filter and drink 1 tbsp. me. 4 times a day half an hour before meals;
- mix 150 ml of alcohol and 1 tbsp. me. absinthe. The mixture is infused for 2 weeks, after which 20 drops are taken 3 times a day 30 minutes before meals.
There is no need to be shy and let the problem of helminth infection take its course. If you go to a specialist when the first signs of an illness appear and have a treatment, you can avoid many illnesses. After getting rid of the parasites, basic rules of hygiene are observed - and the worms will never appear in the body again. After all, it is easier to prevent a disease than to cure it for a long time and in a painful way.